Delicious low carb chicken enchilada casserole – easy and delish way to enjoy enchiladas without the carbs! Everyone will love this recipe, even if they aren’t on a low carb or keto diet…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed & pounded if necessary
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce store bought or from scratch
- 1 cup finely crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- 1 can (4 oz) green chiles (chopped)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Olive oil spray or you can use olive oil in a little bowl with a brush
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Lime wedges optional
- Sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the chicken and enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan & simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Then flip the chicken over, cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until chicken reaches 160-165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine shredded chicken, the enchilada sauce, queso fresco, chiles and cilantro in a bowl. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Spray a square casserole dish with olive oil (or use a brush) and coat the entire bottom and sides.
- Evenly spread 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese on the bottom of the dish.
- Add the chicken mixture, then add the other cup of cheddar cheese on top.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Serve with optional lime wedges and optional sour cream.