They make the perfect handheld appetizers or a light and healthy low-carb lunch or dinner…
For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
For the lettuce wraps:
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves chopped plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard paleo/keto brand as necessary OR Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak cut into 1″ strips or cubes
- 4 medium bell peppers seeded and thinly sliced I used red yellow, orange and green
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 head butter lettuce leaves washed and dried
- sliced avocado and lime wedges for serving
- Combine all the ingredients for the fajita seasonings. Reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons for the bell peppers.
- Make the steak marinade:
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped cilantro, juice from 1 lime, mustard and 4-5 teaspoons of the fajita seasonings.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the steak marinade for drizzling on the steak at the end.
- Pour remainder of the steak marinade into a large zip-top bag along with the steak.
- Press the bag to evenly distribute the marinade and allow to sit while you prepare the vegetables.
- Slice the onions and bell peppers.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and allow to cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant.
- Add the bell peppers and sprinkle with the reserved 1 1/2 teaspoons of fajita seasonings.
- If you like the peppers with a nice crunch – cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- And if you like them softer, leave them on for about 3 minutes longer. Transfer and set aside on a plate.
- Melt butter on the same skillet and add the steak into a single layer.
- Allow to sear and cook for 1 to 3 minutes on each side (or more depending on how done you like your steak).
- Add the reserved steak marinade to the skillet and cook until just heated. Remove from heat.
- Assemble lettuce wraps by placing a spoonful of shrimp/vegetable filling into the center of each leaf.
- Top with avocado or your favorite toppings.