Cook the onions first so there’s plenty of room on the grill for the chicken skewers. Give the whole platter a spritz of lemon for a sunshiny delight…
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (1 inch), coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 medium sweet onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- Lemon wedges
- In a large bowl, toss chicken with lemon juice and salt; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place water, yogurt, herbs, peppers, ginger and garlic in a blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Stir into chicken mixture; refrigerate, covered, 2 hours.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- Brush onions with 2 tablespoons oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in.
- From heat 10-12 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
- Thread chicken onto six metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in.
- From heat 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, turning occasionally and brushing with remaining oil during the last 4 minutes.
- Serve with grilled onions and lemon wedges.