Can you guys tell I love seafood yet? There’s clearly been a shellfish trend happening on the site the past few recipes. Now, part of this was due to our recent clam and oyster harvest of epic proportions; we’ve been up to our elbows in shellfish here! Naturally, some of it made its way into a recipe or four… it’s what I love to do! But the other reason I’ve focused on keto shellfish recipes has more to do with people worrying about the carbs in clams and oysters than what I have stocked in my fridge. So today, I’ve got a killer keto steamed clams recipe paired with the reassurance that you can enjoy shellfish on a very low carb diet…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 10 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 1 pound steamer-sized clams in shell small, ~68g without shell
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 10 fresh basil leaves whole
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Melt butter in large saucepan, one with a tight-fitting lid, over medium heat.
- Add garlic, basil leaves, and chicken broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Mix in clams and cover with tight-fitting lid, leaving the heat on medium-high.
- Steam for 7-8 minutes without removing the lid.
- While clams are steaming, shake pan over heat to evenly coat the shellfish.
- Remove lid; if the sauce looks thin, leave pan over heat without a lid until sauce is desired consistency.
- Optional: add an additional tablespoon of butter to the pan if desired and fits your macros.
- Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Discard any clams that have not opened and serve immediately.