This is one of our favorite chicken pies. When my son would come home from a tour of duty as a Marine, this is the one thing he requested to eat …
- 1 whole chicken or 3 large boneless breasts
- 1 10.5 oz. cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 soup cans of chicken broth (using the cream of a chicken soup can)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 frozen 9″ pie crust, thawed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Place the chicken in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and cook thoroughly.
- Remove the chicken (save the cooking liquid), let cool and then chop up the meat.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the soup, broth, salt, and pepper. Stir in the chicken, combine well.
- Lightly spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon half of the chicken mixture into the bottom and spread around.
- Then cover the mixture with a layer of the pie strips.
- Dot the strips with 1 T. of butter and place in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and spoon the remaining chicken mixture over the top, then place the remaining pie crust strips.
- Again, dot with 1 T. butter. Return to the oven for an additional 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and let sit 5 minutes before serving.