This was given to me by my dear mother-in-law, Mary Armstrong Bales, many years ago. It has long been a family favorite. Even people who don’t like cabbage …This was given to me by my dear mother-in-law, Mary Armstrong Bales, many years ago. It has long been a family favorite. Even people who don’t like cabbage like it!
Cook time: 25 Min Prep time: 30 Min Serves: 6-8
Simple, easy and cheesy! My whole family loves this recipe so much. If it were for them, I’d be making this every day! Give it a shot, you’ll love it!
To Make this Recipe You’ Will Need the following ingredients:
- 1 small head green cabbage
2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 c medium white sauce
1/2 – 3/4 c fine bread crumbs, buttered
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c milk
1. Cut cabbage into wedges and cook uncovered until tender (about 25 minutes). Add salt to water just before cooking is completed. Drain cabbage, add butter.
2. For white sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and salt, stir until combined. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
3. Layer the cabbage, cheese, and white sauce in a 2-1/2 qt. casserole dish. Repeat layers.
4. Top with buttered bread crumbs.
5. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned.
6. A good side dish with ham, pork, sausage, or as a vegetarian main dish. A picture of the lady who is responsible for this recipe: Mary Armstrong Bales, God bless her!