These Mexican Pumpkin Empanadas are at the top of our dessert list. It is very popular in our family because it is very delicious and easy to make. Also, you can adjust all the spices to your preferred taste. My dad got this recipe from his old friend, and he said his friend is one of the reasons why his passion for cooking and baking grew strong. His friend is a good cook, but he never got a chance to share it with other people because he got sick. My father admires his friend so much that he always shares his story with us until now.
Prep: 40mins | Cook: 20mins | Total: 1 hr | Servings: 12 | Yield: 12 empanadas
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup of warm water
- 4 cups canned pure pumpkin
- (2) large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- (1) beaten egg
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 1/2 tsp of salt, and baking powder together. Then cut the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs, stir the water in, about 2 tbsp at a time, just until you can gather the dough together. In a bowl, knead the dough a few times, and then scape it out onto a floured surface. Cut the dough in quarters, and cut each quarter into thirds to make 12 equal portions. Roll the portions into balls. Cover the dough balls with a cloth, and allow to rest while you make the filling.
- Add and mix pumpkin, (2) eggs, a cup of sugar, a tsp of salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves until smooth. Roll each dough balls out into a thin circle about 6 inches across on a floured surface, and then spoon about 1/3 cup of filling into the center of the dough circle. To make a half-moon shaped pie, then fold the dough over the filling, and with a fork crimp the edges of the crust, leaving little fork lines in the dough. Then lay the empanadas gently onto the prepared baking sheets, brush the top of each pie with a beaten egg.
- Bake it until the filling is hot, and the crusts are shiny and browned in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 384.2 calories; fat 18.6g 29% DV; cholesterol 46.5mg 16% DV; sodium 709.8mg 28% DV; protein 5.5g 11% DV; carbohydrates 52.3g 17% DV.