VERY MOIST pumpkin bread with special topping. This makes a very nice gift-giving bread. You can make it all year long because it uses a can of 100% pure pumpkin puree. I use Libby’s brand. The spices are just right in this recipe and enhance the flavor of the pumpkin. It’s best served after it has mellowed for one day. A family favorite.” By Seasoned Cook
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
- 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- In a medium-size, bowl beat eggs and mix with sugar, oil, water, and pumpkin.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients only until just blended. Do NOT overmix.
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan. This bread fits perfectly in an 8.5 x 4.5 loaf pan.
- Bake in a 325-degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes.
- For topping: In a small saucepan mix butter, brown sugar and milk.
- Boil only 2 1/2 minutes while stirring constantly. Immediately drizzle on top of the loaf.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans and press pecans lightly into the topping.
- Wrap and store until next day for serving.
- This will keep moisture inside. It is ok if the bread “sweats” while wrapped.