The name Mulligatawny means ‘pepper water’, and curry is the particular ingredient that gives this incredible soup such a delicious flavor…so I’m told. This old recipe was given to me long ago.”
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 apple, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half – cut into cubes
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, heated
- Saute onions, celery, carrot, and butter in a large soup pot.
- Add flour and curry, and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add chicken stock, mix well, and bring to a boil. Simmer about 1/2 hour.
- Add apple, rice, chicken, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is done.
- When serving, add hot cream.