A nice change from lemon meringue, the flavor comes from a generous amount of orange juice and orange zest as well as some segments of fresh orange…
- 1 1/2 C fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- sugar or honey to taste
- 3egg yolks
- grated rind of one orange
- 3egg whites
- 1pre baked pie shell
- In a heavy saucepan dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup cold water beat egg yolks and add to orange juice.
- Place in a saucepan with cornstarch water. sweeten to taste, this depends on how sweet the orange juice is.
- Cook slowly until mixture is thickened.
- Take from heat, add butter and orange rind zest. mix till butter melts
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Make meringue with egg whites, top pie with meringue and bake 350 degrees until swirls are tinted brown.