This Paleo and Whole30 grilled marinated flank steak will become your go-to recipe to top salads or serve with your favorite grilled veggies and potatoes. The marinade comes together in a blender and can be boiled into a sauce to serve with the steak…
Ingredients [ For 28 to 39 people ] [ Preparation time : 1h50 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
- 3 Medjool dates pitted and softened if necessary by soaking in very hot water
- 2 tbsp water you can use the soaking water if you want
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos*
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar or preferred vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- black pepper or crushed red pepper flakes for spice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs flank steak
- chopped fresh chives green onion or your favorite fresh herbs for garnish
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a high-speed blender except for the olive oil, then once pureed, add the olive oil to the blender running on low.
- Score the steak all over with a knife, place in a large bowl and pour all the marinade over the steak, turning to completely coat.
- Cover tightly in plastic wrap and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Once ready to grill, preheated grill to medium-high heat. Remove most of the marinade from steak, leaving a very thin coating.
- The rest of the marinade can either be discarded or boiled into a sauce for the steak (see instructions below)
- Place the steak on the hot grill and turn after the first side is browned with visible grill lines, repeat on the second side.
- Lower the heat to medium, cover the grill and continue to cook until steak is done to preference, turning once.
- I press the steak to determine if it’s “medium” but you can use a meat thermometer to be more precise.
- Once done, remove the stead to a large platter and loosely cover with aluminum foil for 5-10 minutes to allow juices to distribute.
- Then, using a fork and long sharp knife cut the steak against the grain (opposite direction that the lines of the meat run in) in 1/2 inch slices at a slight angle.
- See this video for quick easy instructions showing how to do this.
- To turn marinade into a sauce, bring it to a full boil in a small saucepan and allow to boil/strong simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add a few coconut aminos and a few drops of hot sauce and serve with steak
- Serve steak with veggies, over salad, with sweet potato fries and with the sauce (or your favorite sauce)