This easy one-pot paleo pumpkin chili can be made with beef or your favorite ground meat and can be ready in just 30 minutes! It’s a hearty, comforting, healthy and Whole30 compliant meal that everyone will love, even the kids…
Ingredients [ For 8 to 10 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 40 minutes ]
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 lb organic ground pork or turkey, or all beef if preferred
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil to brown the meat
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2-3/4 tsp sea salt adjust to taste, plus some to sprinkle on meat
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes not drained, no salt added
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder 1/2 tsp if you want more spice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, I used Primal Palate
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish if desired
- Heat a large deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add coconut oil. Add the beef and pork, breaking up clumps to evenly brown.
- Once 2/3 done, drain fat (leave a bit) and add onions and peppers.
- Stir and continue to cook 2 minutes or until beef is browned and onions and pepper start to soften.
- Do not drain any more fat. Add garlic, stir, and cook another minute.
- Lower the heat and add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, pumpkin, 1/2 tsp salt and all spices.
- Stir to combine well, then raise heat to bring to a boil. Once bubbling,
- lower heat to a slow simmer, cover, and allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes (and up to 45) to thicken and combine flavors.
- The flavor will only get better the longer this chili simmers, which makes it great for leftovers too.
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado if desired and serve. Serves 6-8. Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Slow Cook Directions
- Brown the beef and cook the onions, peppers, and garlic as directed, then transfer to your slow cooker and add remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 4 hours.