This lasagna tastes as real as it looks. I know that’s an odd thing to say, but often grain-free dishes can deceive the eye in photos but can’t play tricks on our palates. I was hoping it would be good, but it exceeded my expectations…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 10 Grain-free Tortillas/Crepes, cut into 2-inch strips like lasagna noodles
- 1½ cups Marinara Sauce
- ½ pound Italian Beef Sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups baby spinach, sautéed in ½ tablespoon olive oil until wilted
- 1 cup grated provolone cheese
- 2 cups Dry Curd Cottage Cheese (I use Friendship Farmer’s Cheese)*
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt or almond milk*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Crumble the sausage into a skillet and brown over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes until is cooked through.
- Pour in all but the ⅛ cup of the marina sauce and simmer on low until you’re ready to assemble your lasagna.
- Mix the Farmer’s cheese, yogurt, salt, pepper, parsley, and basil in a bowl.
- Lightly grease the sides of an 8×11 baking dish. Pour the reserved ⅛ cup of marina sauce into the bottom of the dish.
- Start by layering the strips of tortillas on the bottom, overlapping them ever so slightly so the fillings don’t seep through the cracks.
- If they don’t quite reach the edges of the dish, you can fill in the open spots with the scraps leftover from cutting them into strips.
- Next, spoon in ⅓ of the “ricotta” cheese mixture and gently spread to cover the surface.
- Then put half of the spinach on top, then top that with a sprinkle of provolone, and lastly with ⅓ of the meat sauce.
- Repeat until you’ve run out of ingredients going in this order: Noodles, ricotta, spinach, provolone, meat sauce.
- Finish with the remaining provolone and 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted and slightly browned on top and the corners are bubbling.
- Let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.