A simple paleo + Whole30 dinner perfect for grilling season. These grilled Italian sausage stuffed peppers are made with simple ingredients and have major flavor! Dinner in under 30 minutes…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced in thirds then halved
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower rice
- 3-4 red bell peppers
- 3 Applegate Organics® Sweet Italian Sausages, sliced and halved
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced basil
- Preheat grill to medium-high, roughly 400 degrees
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high. Add the diced onions, minced garlic, and mushrooms.
- Sauté for 3-4 minutes until onions are fragrant and translucent
- Add the cauliflower rice, Italian sausages, tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, and basil.
- Mix well until everything is combined. Remove from heat
- Cut the tops off each bell pepper and discard the seeds.
- Cut the base of the tops so they are flat, in order to cover the peppers when they’re being grilled
- Lightly coat each pepper with olive oil
- Begin to stuff each pepper with spoonfuls of the sausage and cauliflower mixture until the pepper is stuffed near the top, leaving an inch or two of room to place the tops of the peppers back on
- Carefully place the stuffed peppers on top of the grill grates (they will be slippery) and cook for 15 minutes, until the pepper softens and there are slight char marks on the bottom.
- Carefully remove each pepper from the grill using a sturdy pair of kitchen tongs and grabbing near the base
- Garnish with more fresh basil and serve immediately
- Be sure to choose red bell peppers that have a flat base. These will need to sit without falling to ensure the contents inside don’t spill out.