These ground beef and plantain bowls are a simple, no-fuss preparation and great for folks new to cooking with plantains…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
For the green sauce:
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup parsley, packed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, packed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- Sea salt, to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
- For the plantains:
- 3 plantains
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- sea salt
For the rest of the bowl:
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 8 cups kale, roughly chopped (or sub other greens)
- To prepare the sauce, place all sauce ingredients – except sunflower seeds and sea salt – in a food processor and pulse until incorporated.
- Add in the sunflower seeds and pulse until smooth.
- Add more water if desired depending on the consistency you want.
- Taste and season with salt, as desired. Place in a container and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Score plantains lengthwise and peel. Then, cut them into rounds about a 1/4 inch thick and place on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with avocado oil and season with salt. Place in the oven to bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip them over and season with more salt.
- Place back in oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the tops have browned.
- Watch after you flip the plantains and remove them from the oven once they are browned but not burned.
- While the plantains are baking, prep onion as noted. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in onion and ground beef to cook. Break the beef up and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef is browned and cooked through.
- Season beef with chili powder and salt and pepper to taste after it is browned.
- Add kale to the skillet and mix to incorporate. Cook until the kale has wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, start with some of the beef mixtures in a bowl and add in some plantains. Top with green sauce and enjoy.