This amazing paleo lemon crumb cake is deliciously sweet/tart and bursting with fresh lemon flavor! It starts with a perfectly moist lemon cake layer, topped with lemon curd, piled with crumb topping and drizzled with lemon glaze. It’s gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo will become a favorite dessert with the first bite…
Ingredients [ For 14 to 15 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 45 minutes ]
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup organic refined coconut oil solid
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp maple sugar coconut sugar will work too, but the color is much darker
- finely grated zest of one med lemon
- 3 eggs room temp
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice about 2-3 lemons
- Grated zest of 1 medium lemon
- 3 Tbsp organic refined coconut oil melted and cooled to almost room temp
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 2/3 cup pure maple sugar coconut sugar will work too, the color will be much darker
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup homemade lemon curd
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- Traditional w/paleo option
- 2/3 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line an 8 x 8” square baking pan with parchment paper on the bottom and sides, for easy removal.
- Prepare the lemon curd, then set aside to cool to room temp while you prepare the cake. Lemon curd can also be made ahead of time if preferred.
- Next, make the crumb topping by blending all ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until
a textureis crumbly, chill in the fridge while you prepare the cake batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon juice and zest, coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract, and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir the dry mixture into the wet until well combined and smooth.
- Using a silicone spatula, transfer cake batter into the parchment lined cake pan and smooth out evenly. Using a Tbsp, dollop the lemon curd over the cake batter, leaving 1/2” around the perimeter, then gently swirl with cake batter.
- Sprinkle crumb topping all over the top to cover completely, then bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 mins until the cake is set in the center.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving. For toppings, you can dust with organic powdered sugar (not paleo), drizzle on icing and garnish with grated lemon zest.
- While cooling, prepare the icing/glaze of choice. Whisk together ingredients until you get a consistency that you can drizzle (if making your own powdered sugar, do this ahead of time) then use a spoon to drizzle icing over the cake as desired.