This fresh nectarine and spinach salad are loaded with so many goodies! Crispy bacon, toasted walnuts, and an easy Whole30 friendly balsamic vinaigrette. You can make it a filling meal by adding grilled chicken or serve on its own. Paleo, no added sugar, and Whole30 compliant…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
For the balsamic vinaigrette:
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 3 1/2 Tbsp olive oil extra virgin preferable
- 1 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp shallots or onion, minced
For the Salad:
- 2/3 cup walnuts raw, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp bacon fat to coat skillet, reserved from cooking your bacon
- 8 slices nitrate free bacon sugar-free if following Whole30
- 2-3 fresh nectarines pitted and sliced thin
- 5 oz container fresh baby spinach
- To prepare the dressing, add all ingredients to a sealable container and shake vigorously to combine (or whisk well) chill until ready to serve.
- Prior to servings, shake again to recombine.
- In a large heavy skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Discard all but about 1 Tbsp bacon fat and use it to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Turn the burner to medium heat and add the walnuts, toss to coat.
- Allow to cook for a minute, then add the salt and cinnamon and stir while cooking another minute or until nicely toasted.
- Stir and watch closely to avoid burning, once toasted, remove from heat.
- To assemble the salad, add the spinach to a serving bowl and add the sliced nectarines, toasted walnuts, then crumble the bacon all over.
- Shake the dressing again before serving and toss with salad once ready to serve.
- You can add grilled chicken or your favorite protein to make it a meal. Serves 4-6 as a side salad.