This sweet and savory roasted butternut salad is loaded with goodies! Perfectly caramelized butternut squash tossed with crisp sweet apples, pecans, and raisins with a creamy homemade dairy-free buttermilk dressing! Paleo, vegan, and Whole30 compliant, too…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 45 minutes ]
- 2 Medjool dates pitted and softened*
- 3/4 cup organic coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp Nature’s Intent Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp spicy brown mustard
- 1/8-1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large butternut squash or 2 small ones, cubed, 3/4” – about 4 1/2 cups cubed
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon, divided
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted and divided (1 1/2 for squash)
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 2 Pink Lady apple medium, sliced thin
- 5 oz container salad greens
- Organic raisins or fruit-sweetened dried cranberries
- In a food processor or high powered blender, blend the dates, coconut milk, and Organic Apple Cider Vinegar until smooth (a few date pieces are fine) Add in the mustard, salt, cinnamon, onion and garlic powder and blend until smooth. Transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.**
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Put the cubed butternut in a bowl with 1.5 Tbsp melted coconut oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp sea salt, then spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for about 30-40 minutes totals until golden brown and soft. Midway through, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp apple pie spice (or cinnamon) and stir or shake gently to evenly brown.
- Meanwhile, toss chopped pecans with remaining coconut oil, sea salt, and apple pie spice or cinnamon, and spread out on a separate baking sheet. Roast in the oven with the butternut for 5-7 minutes, checking to avoid burning. Remove promptly and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, layer the greens in a large bowl or platter, followed by the roasted butternut and sliced apples, toasted pecans and raisins or cranberries. Serve the dressing on the side, or drizzle over the top before serving.
- Serves 6-8 as a side salad, or add your favorite protein to make it a meal.