A twist on the classic Italian dish Chicken Piccata using walnuts as a grain-free option. You’ll love this one-pan dish that comes together in less than 20 minutes…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 4 medium-sized chicken breasts
- 1 cup walnuts
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 lemons
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp drained capers
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch optional
- 1 tbsp water
- Begin by heating up a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- While pan is heating, pound chicken breasts so they are about 1/2 inch thick. Season with salt and pepper
- Pulse walnuts in a food processor until it resembles a coarse crumbly mixture, place inside a shallow bowl.
- Place seasoned chicken breasts in the walnut coating, getting both sides.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the skillet, and all the chicken breasts into the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
- Outside should be golden and crispy, and the inside should be cooked through.
- If your pan is too hot, remove from heat to prevent burning the walnuts.
- Remove to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Juice one of the lemons, and slice the other for serving.
- Now make the lemon sauce: add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil (may need an extra tbsp), and scrape up any of the brown bits on the pan.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Add lemon juice, chicken broth, and capers while you continue to scrape around the pan.
- The sauce should bubble and begin to thicken after 2-3 minutes.
- If you would like the sauce to be thicker, you can always add 2 tsp arrowroot starch with 1tbsp water and mix into the sauce.
- Pour sauce over chicken and serve immediately with lemon slices and chopped parsley.