This cheesy chicken casserole from Paula Deen is a perfect weeknight dinner for the whole family because it’s super easy to make and its creamy cheesiness is what the whole family craves, so whip it up tonight! Pair this luscious, creamy chicken main course with a lightly dressed side salad, roasted or steamed assorted vegetables, or serve it as it with a glass of dry white wine for the perfect comfort food meal the whole family will love.
- 2 cups chicken, cooked, cut in small bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups pasta, cooked and drained (approximately 2 cups uncooked); penne, cavatappi, or rigatoni works well
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups cheese, grated (cheddar, colby jack, Swiss, or a combination), with 1/2 cup reserved for sprinkling on top
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the inside of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the flour and whisk together for about 1 minute, this will allow the flour to cook just a little before adding the other ingredients. Add the sour cream and milk, and continue whisking until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and add all but ½ cup of the cheese. Add the red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper, cooked chicken, and cooked pasta. Stir together, then layer evenly in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top of the casserole and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
- Remove the casserole and let it sit for about 15 minutes prior to serving.