Pressure cooker ham hock and beans soup has great flavor from smoky … Cook a tasty ham hock with navy beans and veggies for a delicious …
- 116 oz. bag navy beans, dried
- 1cottage ham butt
- 1 chopped onions
- 1 chopped celery
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp salt
- Rinse and drain navy beans, watching and throwing out any small pebbles.
- Put in a pressure cooker in 3 inches of water, without the lid.
- Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes. Remove from burner. Put all in a separate pot for about 2 hours. Then drain beans and add fresh water.
- While you are waiting for the beans to soften, pressure cook cottage ham butt according to size and directions on the label. Cool. Shred ham, removing the fat. Set aside.
- Return beans to the pressure cooker with the fresh water, chopped onions, celery, and shredded ham.
- Pressure cook about 20 minutes on full heat. Remove from stove, reduce pressure under cold water and open lid.
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bring to a boil. Should be ready to eat. If your beans are still too hard, pressure cook a little longer.
- You’ll get used to your cooker and how long it takes depending on your stove top type.
- Best served with homemade baked cornbread (not sweet!) or fried cornbread patties.
- This soup freezes beautifully. Just put desired serving size in freezer quart or gallon bags and freeze.
- Great to have on hand for a quick lunch or light supper on a cold winter day!