I had hamburger meat thawed and didn’t know what I wanted to do with it. Threw this dish together and it was a hit at our table. Super easy and tasty! Just add a green leafy salad or green veggie of your liking and a dinner roll.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed (can leave unpeeled if desired)
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 (10-oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In heavy (oven safe) skillet over medium heat; brown beef and onions.
- Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Drain off excess oil or blot out with paper towels. NOTE: I used a cast iron skillet.
- Meanwhile in another skillet over medium/high heat, coat bottom of the skillet with oil. Heat oil; add potatoes to hot oil.
- Season with salt & pepper and red pepper flakes. Fry potatoes until they start browning. They need to be almost done.
- They will continue cooking in the oven.
NOTE: If there is excess oil, slide potatoes to the side and blot excess oil up with paper towels.
- Add cream of mushroom soup to beef; stir to mix. Add potatoes and 1 cup of cheese, toss to mix. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Should be bubbly around the edges of the skillet before you remove from oven.
- This time is based on all ingredients being hot before going into the oven.