The simplest way to prepare cabbage is also one of the tastiest, healthiest, and most novel: roasting. Brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper, …
- 1 medium-sized head of green cabbage
- 2 T olive oil
- 2-3 T fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used 2 T for the cabbage in these photos, but next time I’d use even more lemon)
- generous amount of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- lemon slices, for serving cabbage (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450F/232C. Spray a roasting pan with non-stick spray or olive oil.
- Cut the head of cabbage into 8 same-size wedges, cutting through the core and stem end.
- Then carefully trim the core strip and stem from each wedge and arrange wedges in a single layer on the roasting pan (leave some space around them as much as you can.)
- Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice (use the larger amount of lemon juice if you like a lot of lemons as I do.)
- Then use a pastry brush to brush the top sides of each cabbage wedge with the mixture and season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Turn cabbage wedges carefully, then brush the second side with the olive oil/lemon juice mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast cabbage for about 15 minutes, or until the side touching the pan is nicely browned.
- Then turn each wedge carefully and roast 10-15 minutes more, until the cabbage is nicely browned and cooked through with a bit of chewiness remaining.
- Serve hot, with additional lemon slices to squeeze lemon juice on at the table if desired.