The Monte Cristo is the best darn ham and cheese sandwich ever. … this sandwich is on the decadent side, so it’s not an all-the-time sort of …
- 4 slices thickly sliced white bread or Brioche
- 4 slices deli ham or turkey (or both)
- 4 slices Swiss cheese or 1/2 cup grated Gruyere
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, divided
- 3-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- powdered sugar, garnish
- jam or fruit preserves, optional, garnish
- In a wide, shallow bowl, beat eggs and milk together, and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble two sandwiches; mustard on one piece of bread, mayonnaise on the other, ham/turkey and cheese inside.
- Put sandwich together and lightly butter the outsides of each piece of bread. (1/2 tablespoons per side.)
- Melt another 1 tablespoon butter in a medium pan or skillet over medium heat and dip both sides of the sandwich in egg mixture, pressing down to make sure it really absorbs the mixture, and transfer to the skillet.
- Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes, and then flip and cook another side for another 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with the second sandwich, using remaining butter to grease pan.
- Transfer to serving plates, dust lightly with powdered sugar and serve immediately with jam or fruit preserves.