Surprise your family by putting this dish on the table tonight for dinner. They won’t believe you when you tell them it’s healthy! The cheese …
- 8 ounces whole grain elbow macaroni
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sugar ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- diced pickles
- shredded lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the elbows according to package directions for al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onions and beef, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon until it is no longer pink, and the onions are translucent about 6-8 minutes.
- To the browned beef, add the rest of the ingredients except the cheese.
- Add the cooked elbow macaroni and stir everything together.
- Transfer the skillet contents to the prepared casserole dish and cover with the cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve with optional diced pickles, tomatoes, or shredded lettuce for serving.