The invention of placing a cooked ground-beef patty between a toasted bun is viewed as genius by many. America’s favorite sandwich might even be considered a national treasure…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 1 1/2 lb. ground chuck or sirloin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large Egg
- 4 slice Cheddar cheese
- 1 large onion
- 4 onion rolls
- 1 large tomato
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 dill pickle chips
- Prepare patties: In a medium bowl, mix ground beef, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and egg.
- Use your hands to form 4 equally sized patties.
- Cook burgers and onions: In a large skillet, cook patties over high heat, about 4 minutes for medium or 5 minutes for well done, turning once midway through.
- Place 1 slice cheese atop each burger and cook 1 more minute.
- Remove patties from skillet and place on wire rack.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 6 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Assemble sandwiches: On the bottom half of each roll, place 1 burger and top with tomato, lettuce, pickles, and onions.
- Cover with top of the roll. Serve with ketchup and American Frites.