This beef stew is savory, rich, and irresistible. Stews need time. You can’t rush them along. For this recipe, you will need just over 2 hours…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1kg gravy beef, cut into 5cm cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup Massel beef stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 large carrots, peeled, roughly chopped
- cooked pappardelle pasta, to serve
- Place flour in a snap-lock bag. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beef and shake bag to lightly coat beef in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add half the beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned.
- Spoon into slow cooker. Repeat with oil and remaining beef.
- Reduce frying pan heat to medium. Add remaining oil and onion to pan.
- Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and tomato paste.
- Cook for 1 minute. Pour in wine. Bring to the boil.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until wine has reduced by half.
- Add stock, thyme, and carrots. Bring to the boil. Spoon sauce over beef and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for up to 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
- Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over pasta and serve.