Slow Cooker Beef Stew & Dumplings – the perfect comfort food! A delicious beef stew loaded with vegetables cooked in your Crock Pot & topped with herb dumplings for a hearty one-pot meal. A timeless classic you’ll never tire of.
- 400g stewing steak cut into cubes (I used chuck steak)
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- A pinch of salt and plenty of pepper
- 4 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 2 large onions – sliced
- 4 carrots sliced into chunks
- 4 medium potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 750 ml (3 cups) beef stock
- 110 g (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g (2 oz) shredded suet or grated hard white vegetable fat coated with a tablespoon of rice flour
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 4 to 6 tablespoons of water
Make your stew:
- Lightly grease the inside of your slow cooker with oil or cooking spray and turn your slow cooker on high.
- Add salt and pepper to your flour and coat the beef chunks before setting to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Brown the onions and carrots before transferring them to your slow cooker.
- Add the floured beef chunks to your frying pan and brown well before adding to the slow cooker.
- Add any remaining flour to your pan and cook out in the oil before deglazing the pan with the beef stock, stir well to avoid any lumps.
- Pour into your slow cooker and add the potatoes, herbs, tomato puree and Worcester sauce, stir well and place on the slow cooker lid.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
Make your dumplings:
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir in the suet or vegetable fat.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water and stir again to form a dough, adding extra water if necessary.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and turn out onto a floured work surface.
- Shape into small balls and add to your slow cooker and cook on high for 45 minutes with the lid on