Slow cooker bistro chicken thighs are easy to prep and cook all day in a delicious, rich red wine and tomato sauce…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 or 15 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Sear the chicken in the skillet until well browned on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to the insert of the slow cooker.
- Lower the heat to medium and melt the butter in the same skillet.
- Add the onions, garlic, and thyme and sauté until the onion is softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and tomatoes to the pan and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and pour over the chicken thighs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, until the chicken, is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve over mashed potatoes, pasta or rice.