Pure creamy comfort food made right in your crockpot! So quick, easy, and hearty with veggies, rice, and chicken…
Ingredients [ For 8 to 9 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 8h 25 minutes ]
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and a half
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Place chicken in a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken stock, wild rice, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Add mushrooms during the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk and a half and a half, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir chicken and milk mixture into the slow cooker.
- If the soup is too thick, add more half and half as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.