Slow cooker creamy beef stroganoff made with sour cream, steak or stew meat, and no cream of soup! A healthy (er), yet rich and savory, easy crockpot version of classic beef stroganoff…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds stew meat
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper)
- 2 cups beef broth (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (preferably fresh, not canned)
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes, softened
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch (or flour) + 1/2 cup beef broth
- 12 ounces short pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions (egg noodles are traditionally served with stroganoff but penne, macaroni, or spiral all work well)
- Lightly grease your slow cooker, then add stew meat and sprinkle Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste over the top.
- Add mushrooms, beef broth, garlic, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir cornstarch (or flour) into 1/2 cup beef broth and stir mixture into slow cooker.
- Add cream cheese and sour cream to slow cooker then cook another 20-30 minutes on high, stirring occasionally until cream cheese and sour cream are incorporated and sauce is thickened.
- Taste, add salt and pepper to your personal taste if needed, and stir in noodles.
- Serve immediately garnished with cracked black pepper and fresh thyme if desired.