This Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan will have everyone thinking you spent all day in the kitchen. Perfect for easy entertaining…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 4 pounds eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 3 ounces Parmesan cheese or vegan Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning make sure it is gluten-free
- 4 cups marinara sauce use a low-sugar brand like Rao’s
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese sliced or shredded Daiya
- fresh basil for topping
- Peel eggplant and cut into 1/3 inch rounds. Layer in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes and then pat dry. (If you aren’t a fan of salt you can rinse and pat.)
- Spread 1/2 cup of sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Stir together breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a separate bowl.
- Dip eggplant in egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Layer 1/3 of the slices in the slow cooker. Top with 1 cup sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat layers two more times. Cook on low for eight hours.
- If desired, top with fresh basil leaves.