Simple and hearty, this veal dish is delicious with buttery gnocchi…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 12 (about 1.8kg) veal ossobuco pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (about 450g) fennel, trimmed reserving fronds, thickly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Large pinch of saffron threads
- 250ml (1 cup) verjuice or white wine
- 500ml (2 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 large fresh sage sprigs
- Cooked gnocchi, tossed in butter, to serve
- Season the veal. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat.
- Cook veal, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until lightly browned, heating 2 teaspoons oil between batches. Transfer to a plate.
- Preheat oven to 110°C.
- Heat remaining oil in the dish over medium heat.
- Stir in fennel and garlic for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in tomato paste and saffron for 30 seconds.
- Stir in verjuice or wine for 1 minute. Add veal, stock, and sage.
- Cover. Bake for 6 hours or until the veal is very tender.
- Stir through the reserved fennel fronds. Season. Serve with gnocchi.