This hearty meat loaf works double time by yielding 16 servings. Serve it for dinner alongside our Golden Mashed Potatoes, then the next day sliced and tucked between slices of fresh bread for sandwiches that will earn rave reviews…
- 1 1/4 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar
- 4 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 c. fresh bread
- 1/2 c. whole milk
- 1 c. minced onion
- c. minced celery
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 c. parsley
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. coarse-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground veal
- 1 medium onion
- 8 sprig thyme
- 6 slice bacon
- Make the ketchup glaze: Combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and soy sauce in a medium bowl and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Make the meatloaf: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine the bread and the milk in a small bowl and let sit 5 minutes.
- Combine the minced onion, celery, garlic, parsley, mustard, thyme, eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the bread, meat, and 1/3 cup of the ketchup glaze and toss gently with your hands.
- Be careful not to overmix — it should be soft but hold its shape.
- Bake the meatloaf: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the prepared pan, form into a 16- by 5-inch loaf, and coat with 1/3 cup of the ketchup glaze.
- Combine the onion rings with 2 tablespoons of ketchup glaze in a small bowl.
- Spread the coated onions over the top of the meatloaf. Place the thyme sprigs over the onions and twist the bacon slices in diagonals over the thyme.
- Place on center rack of oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until an internal temperature of 160degrees F is reached — about 50 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining ketchup glaze.