Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes with Ham is a yummy crock pot recipe that turns leftover ham into a whole new meal…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
- 3 pounds russet potatoes peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 12 ounce can be evaporated milk low-fat or fat-free ok
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth I like reduced-sodium
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated or in small cubes
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese grated or in small cubes
- 1 pound cooked ham diced
- Line slow cooker with a foil collar against the back half of the cooker, and spray slow cooker insert with nonstick cooking spray.
- Microwave potatoes and 2 tablespoons milk in a covered bowl, stirring twice, for 6-8 minutes, or until almost tender. Uncover, and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are in the microwave, melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic and thyme; cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in remaining milk, broth, cornstarch, and pepper.
- Bring milk mixture to simmer, whisking constantly, until just thickened.
- Whisk in cheese, and stir until cheese has melted. Remove from heat. The sauce should be nice and pourable. If it’s too thick, stir in additional chicken broth.
- Pour about 1/3 cheese mixture over the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Layer the potatoes in, overlapping as you go.
- Top potatoes with diced ham.
- Pour cheese sauce over the top, spreading as necessary.
- Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 4-6 hours on low.
- Remove foil collar, and let potatoes cool for 20 minutes before serving.