Slow–cook shepherd’s pie and you’ll be rewarded with succulent mince. This recipe is also low-fat and low-calorie with three of your five-a-day.
You’ll need :
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 lb.)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables
How to Make It :
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork.
- Microwave potatoes on high, turning once, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, let cool slightly, then peel and mash with milk and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm olive oil.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add beef, increase heat to medium-high and cook, breaking up chunks, until meat is cooked through and beginning to brown, 8 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. In a small cup, whisk cornstarch with 1 cup water.
- Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until liquid thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat; transfer to slow cooker.
- Layer vegetables on top of meat; top with potatoes.
- Cover, turn slow cooker to low and cook for 3 hours.