With only the richest of piquant flavors, this Slow Cooker Thick & Chunky Beef Stew will make you feel like the queen at a medieval feast…
Ingredients [ For 7 to 8 people ] [ Preparation time : 22 minute – Cooking time : 35 minutes ]
- 1 pound lean chuck beef, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into slices
- 3 large carrots, sliced into thick rounds
- 1/2 cup shelled snap peas
- 2 medium potatoes of any variety, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup beef broth, optional red wine
- 1/4 cup chopped flat parsley, (optional for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional, but helps to thicken up the stew)
- Coat the beef with the flour. Over medium heat, in a skillet with extra-virgin olive oil, brown the beef then transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients, except parsley, to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or when beef is very tender.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.