The creamy, sauce-y cheese ziti that you love, made in your slow cooker…
Ingredients [ For 4 to 5 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 15 minutes ]
- 2 24 ounce jars marinara pasta sauce
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 16 ounces UNCOOKED ziti kinds of pasta (or penne)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, and ricotta to a mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixers until smooth. Stir in garlic and basil.
- In a large bowl, combine both jars of pasta sauce, tomato sauce, and water.
- Add 2 cups of sauce to the bottom of the slow cooker
- Top with about ⅓ of the uncooked penne.
- Dot on half of the ricotta mixture and use a spoon to gently spread it out evenly. Top with 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- Add another 2 cups of sauce. Top with ⅓ of the uncooked penne.
- Add remaining ricotta mixture and spread. Sprinkle on the remaining 3/4 cup parmesan cheese.
- Add the remaining uncooked penne. Top with the remaining sauce.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 – 2 1/2 hours, or LOW for 3 1/3 -4 hours or until pasta is tender.
- During the last few minutes, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese to the top, and return the lid of the machine to allow it to melt.
- After mine melted I stuck it under the broiler of my oven for 2 minutes to make the cheese golden and bubbly, but you don’t have to.