Southern Homemade Baked Beans – easy baked beans that makes a perfect side to any dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So rich, creamy …
- 2 cups white navy beans, covered in water and soaked for 24 hours
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sorghum
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher preferred
- Preheat oven to 300?F.
- Strain the soaked beans and place them in a large heavy pot.
- Cover by 2 inches of cold water and bring to a boil, then simmer beans until they are tender.
- Skim any foam that rises to the top and discards. Drain the tender, cooked beans and reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Place the cooked beans and the 1 cup of reserved cooking liquid in a heavy 3-quart baking dish or pot, with a lid.
- I use a really heavy enameled cast-iron pan.
- Add the thyme, orange zest, garlic, dry mustard, maple syrup and chicken stock to the beans.
- Arrange bacon over the beans; cover with lid and place in oven, bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve from the baking dish (careful it’s hot).