It is a soup that is incredibly simple, deliciously fresh, and full of flavorful chicken and lots of addictive avocados. Of course, we can’t all resist soups during the cold weather months, but this soup is just something so cheerful and summery. The abundance of fresh flavors must have something to do with it. It is a great chicken recipe, and the best way to use avocados.
Prep: 30 min | Cook: 22 mins | Total: 52 min | Serving: 4 | Yield: 4 servings
- (2) eaches Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, raw
- 1 tbsp oil, olive, salad or cooking
- (1) large Onion, raw
- (3) Lime juice, raw
- 1 cup Cilantro, raw
- (2) Peppers, jalapeno, raw
- (3) cloves Garlic, raw
- 4 cups Water, municipal
- (2) tbsp Soup, chicken broth or bouillon, reduced-sodium, dehydrated, dry
- (3) large Avocados, raw, all commercial varieties
- ¼ cup Queso Fresco Cheese
- Let a small pot of water to boil. Add chicken, boil until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Run cool water over the chicken to speed the cooling process. Shred or finely slice chicken.
- Add and put the olive oil and let it heat in a large pot over medium heat. Add 1/2 onion, lime juice, 1/2 cup cilantro, jalapeno peppers, and garlic until onion is slightly greenish, about 5 minutes.
- Add and combine 4 cups of water and bouillon powder in a small bowl. Pour into the pot. Let it cook until just heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir chicken into the pot.
- Ladle the soup into (4) bowls. Add remaining 1/2 onion, 1/2 cup cilantro, avocado, and queso fresco on top.
If you’re not a heat fan, you might omit jalapeños, but if you like heat, then leave the seeds and add more jalapeños.
Use low-sodium or unsalted chicken broth so that you have more control over the dish ‘s total saltiness.
For better taste, use fresh cilantro, dried doesn’t taste as well anyway.
If preferred, you can substitute Queso Fresco with Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese.
Per Serving: 495.3 calories; 34.3 mg cholesterol; 538.9 mg sodium; 18.7 g protein; 29.1 g carbohydrates.