- 1 stick ( 1/2 cup) butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts whole strawberries, capped and washed
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut in small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour into a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg, milk, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour directly over the butter in the baking dish, but do not stir.
- Add the strawberries, arranging in a single layer as much as possible.
- Sprinkle cream cheese pieces over strawberries.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown and edges are bubbling. (Crust rises up and around the fruit, but the fruit will still peek out of the top.)