My personal recipe for spicy chili beans won a “Chili Cook-Off” at a Super Bowl party. There were 10 crock pots full of chili in the cook-off, mine …
- 1 1/2-2 lbs lean ground beef or turkey. (beef was used in the cook-off)
- 1-2 can(s)s&w chili beans or pinto beans, add 1 can of black beans for variety and a larger pot of chili. (i prefer the 50% less sodium)
- 1 can(s)s&w kidney beans (store brand is fine for all the beans)
- 1-2 can(s)diced tomatoes with green chilies or Mexican style. (for a larger pot of chili, add 2 cans of tomatoes)
- 1 1/4 can(s)14 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 small can tomato paste with Italian seasoning
- 1 can(s)7 oz. green chilies, diced
- 1red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced (from the jar)
- 1/4 cmezzetta tamed jalapenos (jar), minced
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2-2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/2-1 tbsp cayenne pepper, optional
- salt & pepper, optional, or to taste
- Drizzle about a Tbsp. of olive oil or canola oil in a large stock pot on the stove and heat to med-high temp.
- Saute onion, jalapenos, and garlic until onions are almost clear.
- Mince lean ground beef and cook with the onion mixture.
- Salt & pepper to taste. Add Mexican oregano and stir to blend.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, green chiles, including the liquid from the tomatoes. Stir to incorporate.
- Drain the liquid from all of the beans. Pour beans into the chili mixture and stir well.
- If you have time to tend to the beans you can leave them in the stockpot.
- Let the chili beans simmer for 1-2 hours. Make sure to stir periodically.
- Otherwise, put the chili mixture & beans into a slow cooker for 4 – 6 hours on low, then on warm until ready to serve.
- Optional: Serve with cornbread, Fritos scoops, shredded cheddar/jack or Mexican blend cheeses, and sour cream.
* DIRECTIONS IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A SLOW COOKER OR CROCKPOT:
Steps 1, 2 & 3 are done in a large skillet or large saute pan instead of a stock pot.
Pour the ingredients into the slow cooker or crockpot and continue with steps 4 & 5.