Better than a Snickers, these slightly sweet cherry almond granola bars won’t weigh you down and will leave you with a lot more energy to tackle those last …
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- semi-sweet chocolate chips, optional
- Line a square or rectangular baking dish with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on both sides.
- Combine oats, almonds, flax seed, oat bran and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat honey, brown sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until sugar is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, then remove from heat and pour over oat mixture.
- Working quickly, stir in chopped dried cherries (and chocolate chips, if using) and stir everything together until evenly coated.
- Transfer granola to the baking dish and use your hands to press it firmly into the bottom of the pan and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours to allow bars to set and firm up before extracting parchment paper (using the overhang on both sides) from the dish and cutting granola into equal bars.
- Store in an airtight container and enjoy!