The Ultimate Chicken Fried Steak is fried to golden perfection and topped with the creamiest gravy you can imagine, sure to quickly become a family favorite. It’s hard to imagine a more quintessential Southern meal than Chicken Fried Steak and Gravy. The hard part is deciding whether you want to make it for breakfast or dinner. My family can’t get enough of these tender steaks with that delightful crispy, crunchy coating. And the gravy? Heaven! Enjoy this amazing dinner with some of my Nana’s green beans and the BEST dinner rolls.
- 4 (1/2 pound) beef cube steaks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco(TM))
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable shortening for deep frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt in a separate shallow bowl; stir in the buttermilk, egg,
- Tabasco Sauce, and garlic. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour.
- Pat the flour onto the surface of each steak so they are completely coated with dry flour.