- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 to 3 TBSP cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5/8 ounce bottle red food coloring
How to make :
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cream the eggs, sugar, oil and vinegar.
- Sift the cake flour, baking soda, and cocoa together.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed ingredients while beating.
- Slowly add the buttermilk. While still beating, add the vanilla and the food coloring.
- Pour into three 8-inch layer pans and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Press lightly;if the layers are spongy, then the cake is done.
- Frost the cooled layers, assemble and frost the top and sides. Serves 12 to 14.
Red Velvet Cake Frosting:
- 1(8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (1 pound) box confectioners sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to make it :
- Combine the cream cheese and butter and melt over very low heat.
- Add the sugar, pecans and vanilla and mix well.
- If the frosting becomes too thick, add a little milk.
- Frost one 8-inch or 9-inch layer cake.