This Copycat Hostess Ding Dong Cake recipe is a rich, decadent … I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe for this, so fudgy and perfect…
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate baking bar, melted and cooled
- 3 stick3 sticks butter no salt
- 21/2 granulated sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 4 all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 whole milk
- 21/4 whole milk ricotta cheese, drained overnight w/ cheesecloth & squeezed dry
- 21/4 mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 powdered sugar
- 11/2 top grand Marnier (*vanilla extract may be substituted for the Grand Marnier.)
- 11/2 tsp teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 soft butter
- 6 Tbsp milk
- 1 Ghirardelli sweet ground cocoa
- 5 confectioners sugar
- 2 dash(es)salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease four 9-inch-round baking pans
- FOR CAKE:
- IF YOU PREFER YOU CAN USE A BOX CAKE AND JUST SLICE LAYERS.
- BEAT sugar, butter and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Add eggs; beat for 1 minute. Beat in melted chocolate. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; beat into creamed mixture alternately with milk.
- POUR into prepared baking pan(s).
- BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 20 minutes; invert onto wire rack(s) to cool completely.
- let all 4 layers cool completely.While layers are cooling make Cream Filling and Frosting.
- Cream Filling:
- Mix filling ingredients together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use (at least a couple of hours).
- Frosting: Combine butter, milk, cocoa in a saucepan over low heat until butter melts. Remove from heat.
- Add confectioners sugar, salt, and vanilla.
Beat until smooth. Set aside.
- How to assemble your Ding Dong Cake:
- Divide Cream Filling into 3 portions.
- On top of the bottom cake layer add 1/3 cream filling. Top with a cake layer. Add 1/3 cream to the top then add another cake layer. Add the remaining cream and top with last cake layer.
- Align layers making sure they are all even. This will be a tall cake. Add frosting to cake. Make sure you use all the frosting. Refrigerate until ready to cut and serve.