These Vegan Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars have a bottom crust, a layer of sweet apples, and are topped with a crumble topping and salted caramel sauce. They are divine…
Ingredients [ For 8 to 9 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 25 minutes ]
For The Crust
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
For The Filling
- 2 large apples (use a sweet and tart variety for most complex flavor), peeled and thinly (1/4″) sliced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For The Topping
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
For The Vegan Salted Caramel Sauce
- 15 pitted dates*
- 1/2 cup water+more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Coarse Real Salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line an 8X8 inch pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving the overhang on all sides. Set aside.
- Start by making the crust. Stir together the melted coconut oil, sugar, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Add the flour and stir until combined. Press the mixture into the pan evenly and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling and topping.
- For the filling, combine the apples, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- For the topping, stir together the oats, sugar, cinnamon, and flour.
- Add the solid coconut oil, in chunks, and combine with your hands.
- You can also use a pastry cutter or two knives to do this. I just use my hands.
- The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs when you are finished.
- Remove the crust from the oven, and turn it up to 350 degrees.
- Layer the apples evenly on the warm crust. Press them down so they all fit.
- Sprinkle the apple layer with the streusel topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the topping is golden brown.
- While they are baking, prepare the vegan salted caramel sauce. Put the dates*, water, vanilla, and salt in your blender.
- Start on low for about 10 seconds, then turn it up to high and blend until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add additional water as needed to achieve your desired consistency. Taste and add more salt if you prefer.
- I have a powerful Vitamix blender which makes the sauce super smooth; other blenders may not be able to completely remove all date chunks.
- It will still be delicious! (But I highly recommend a Vitamix for that reason. :)) Set the sauce aside.
- When the bars are finished baking, pull them out of the oven and allow them to cool, on a baking rack, at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- Then place them in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- This gives the bars a chance to firm up before cutting.
- They won’t stay together as well without this step.
- You can also refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut the bars into 9-16 bars and top with the salted caramel sauce.