We love anything with Zucchini, I mean, is there anything that zucchini can’t do? I’ve got recipes that use zucchini, and I can eat them every time of the day, breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, and midnight snack. This Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Casserole is one of the recipes that I’m proud to learn because it’s so tasty and simple to make. You just need a few ingredients, and you’re ready to go, ingredients that might be available in your pantry without you knowing it. The casserole is a great way to make use of fresh garden zucchini, and it goes well with just about any main course. It even makes a great side dish for your holidays.
Prep: 20mins | Cook: 55mins | Total: 1hr 15mins | Serving: 4 | Yield: 4 servings
- 1 ½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- (2) cloves garlic, minced
- (1) pinch salt and pepper to taste
- (2) medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
- (5) plum tomato (blank)s, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup fine bread crumbs
- Prepare oven, preheat it 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and then lightly butter a 9×9-inch pan.
- In a large bowl, add and combine Cheddar, Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Then season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In the pan, arrange half of the zucchini slices. Then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top. Add and arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers.
- Add and melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Then stir in breadcrumbs, cook until they have absorbed the butter, sprinkle it on top of the casserole.
- Cover it with foil. In the preheated oven, bake it for 25 minutes. Take out the foil, and bake until the top is crusty and the vegetables are tender about 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 459.9 calories; fat 32.2g 50% DV; cholesterol 90.9mg 30% DV; sodium 953.6mg 38% DV; protein 20.8g 42% DV; carbohydrates 23.8g 8% DV.