Traci’s Famous New England Clam Chowdahhhh Clam Chowder, Chili … Cream of Cauliflower Soup Recipe from Taste of Home…
- 3 onions, diced
- 3 celery, diced
- 5 lbs potatoes, diced
- 6 can(s)corn, cream-style
- 6 can(s)corn, or 6 ears of fresh corn kernels
- 6-6.5 oz can(s)minced clams with juice
- 4 1/2 stick butter
- 2 1/4 C unbleached white flour
- 3 qt heavy cream
- 4 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 1/2 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 3 lb pepper bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp hot pepper sauce
- 6 or so…round bread bowls, gutted. reserve the bread, and make croutons
- Drain the clams, but reserve the juice. Also, if you are using canned corn, drain well.
- Add the bacon to a large stockpot, and cook the bacon until almost crisp. I do not drain the fat.
- If you wish, I suppose it would be okay. However, the flavor is added to the whole.
- Add the onions and celery to the bacon, cook until tender.
- Then add the potatoes, clam juice, and just enough water to barely cover the veggie/ bacon mixture.
- Cover and simmer. Cook potatoes until JUST fork tender; careful not to over cook the potatoes.
- In the meantime, in a 5 qt pan, melt the butter, add the flour, whisk to blend and cook for about two minutes.
- You want to make sure that you cook the flour taste out.
- Add the cream, cook, and stir until smooth and thick, using a wire whisk. I tend to do this until I reach the thickness I desire.
- Once your “chowda” is as thick as you wish, remove the pot from the stove, and add the cream mixture, drained corn, creamed corn, clams, and hot sauce.
- Stir to combine,