This homemade tuna casserole recipe was a big hit around the Test Kitchen table! The addition of the cream cheese was just as delicious as you would imagine it to be… making this casserole extraordinarily rich and creamy; different from other tuna casseroles. This dish is very comforting and filling. A quick and easy dinner your family will enjoy!
Cook time: 20 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 8
1 can(s) mushroom pieces, 6.5 oz
2 clove garlic, minced (1tsp)
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1, 12 oz. pkg large no-yolk egg noodles
1/4 c butter
1/4 c all purpose flour
2 1/2 c milk
1 pkg cream cheese, 8 oz
1 can(s) tuna, packed in water, 12 oz
1 can(s) peas, drained, 15 oz
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 c French’s Crispy Fried Onions to sprinkle on top of casserole
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1. Sauté mushrooms, garlic, onion and green peppers in a frying pan. Put aside.
2. Cook the noodles in salted water; drain.
3. Melt butter in a large fry pan and blend in flour. Blend together.
4. Add milk slowly, cooking and stirring constantly.
5. When sauce is thick and smooth, blend in cream cheese.
6. Then add cooked noodles.
7. Add the whole can of tuna with water.
8. Add peas.
9. Add peppers, onion and mushrooms combination, the salt and pepper. Mix together.
10. Pour into a large 9 x 12 greased baking dish.
11. Top with sharp cheese.
12. Then sprinkle French onions and Parmesan cheese.
13. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.